Who can retrofit my Sunbeam Toastermatic?

We have the most beautiful toaster.  And in the scheme of things, this planet and so on, it is brand new.  But it has stopped working and I cannot bare to buy a new one.

At a guess it was given to my parents in 1964 as a wedding present, or something along those lines.  And it worked up until  2008.  Some people would accept over 40 years of valuable service and fling it away.

It is stylish, and it has an automatic popup mechanism to bring the cooked toast up a and it NEVER burnt the toast.  Ever.  I can't let it go.

I took it to the electrical goods magician and they said the points were done, there was nothing they could do.  And that the points were also done on the sacrificial spare I had kept for 10 years for that very reason.  Dammit.  I thought I was being so clever.

I can't face buying a new toaster that will last 9 1/2 years.  If I am lucky.  So at the moment we use the griller to cook toast which is a flagrant and wicked waste of energy.

So if anyone can retrofit my beautiful-in-every-way Sunbeam Radiant Control Toastermatic model AT-40 to last another 10 years plus, I will happily pay NZ$200.  A hundred now and a hundred a year from now when it still works.

I see the cost of anything remotely stylish being over $150, and a cheap $49 toaster has having the liveability and endurance of your average florist flower.  So to me, that money is a no-brainer.

Just putting it out there….

About Jodie

It is only by questioning and discussing and attempting to view the world our childrens children will live in, that we start to understand that life isn't a linear process - it is a room of dominoes falling. Our world has a lot of special interests and stakeholders that by default, keep science undone, and economics hooked in the 1920's - resulting in governments that don't address the complexity that is challenging our world. From pollution to mental health (and the cost of food) to the health of our freshwater - it's complex and dynamic. What equilibrium do we want to reach - a healthy vital one or a suffering one?
This entry was posted in Environment. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Who can retrofit my Sunbeam Toastermatic?

1. Ben says:

Its probably fixable, I have one two and so do my parents, dad has resurected his several times after being told it was not able to be done so.  I have had mine apart and adjusted it.  Not really sure what your electical service man means by the points.  It was built in an era when these were meant to be serviced not thrown away and it has so many adjusements internally and servicealbe parts you just need to start debuging it.  Narrow down the cause of the problem to what mechanism.  Lift/decent/elements/toast colour sensor etc.

• Jodie says:

I don’t even know where to start with looking for a problem! Will just keep an ear out for retired sparkies with old fashioned values I guess. Thanks for your comments – please let me know if you want it to arrive on your doorstep and I will cover all costs… I still haven’t bought a new one!

2. George says:

Did you ever get it fixed?
    I've been looking for one on TradeMe and the like, but there don't seem to be many for sale in NZ… and shipping for one from Ebay is extremely expensive!

3. Neil says:

Search on the web. There are detailed instructions on how to repair these wonderful toasters. Don't throw it out, they are highly collectable and easily repairable. We've got a four slicer which we continue to use every day. Very rare Australian model. Good luck,  Neil

4. Shane says:

You should be able to get a new toaster and use all the internal parts, but it will never be the same as the original. You should be able to fix it, these things were made in an era when things were made to be repaired when they stopped working, Not replaced like most electrical goods made these days. Finding the right fix it guy might be a challenge, but if you know a decent sparky they should be able to get it working.

5. David says:

I have 2 of these toasters and I am am sure someone could repair it for you.  These toasters work on a very simple principle of metal expanding when it gets hot and contracting when it gets cold to turn on and off.
    Basicly when you place the toast in it pushes a lever which pops a bent peice of bi metal which it turn allows 2 contact points to touch completing a crcuit.  When the toast gets to a certain temperature the bi metal expands and pops back to its original shape which makes the 2 points no longer touch, and as such the circuit is broken and the toaster turns off.
    May be the points, or contacts just need to be replaced which you may be able to get from a donor toaster off ebay.  There is a youtube post of how the bi metal works on you tube somewhere.
    New toasters will use unreliable electronics to control the on and off by time, and will not work in these old reliable toasters which work by judging the heat, which is why it would have never burned a peice of toast.
    Hope this helps and you get it going again soon.

• Jodie says:

David, I had even saved a spare one for ten years but when I took it along to the repair guy he said the points were done on that also.

Will keep an eye out in NZ where I live but not wanting to order from OZ incase the points are done on the old ones I order!

But it's still sitting there waiting, the beautiful thing.

cheers

6. Blipp says:

Hi I believe I may be able to resurect one by using both toasters if you pay shipping costs to and from Australia plus $80 labour costs

• Paul says:

Hi Blipp,

Do you do repairs to these toasters? I have one that no longer lowers or heats up.

Thanks